Skip to main content

Achilles, Wherein I make it all about me

Let's start with a laugh.  Because the rest of this exercise aint no joke


I think people falling is funny.  It’s a quick cheap laugh. Like a fart joke or a dog getting its head stuck in the trash can. LOL that person ate it. I'm that person and I have always been that person. It's a knee jerk being a jerk reaction. Mama tried to fix me early on but alas the instinct was too strong.  Buuuuuuut if I give it 2 seconds of empathetic thinking I’m the ass here not Joe Blow McClumsey.  I am the one making light of someone getting hurt. I consciously or unconsciously am making the choice to separate myself as better than that person on the floor.
If it's not a human can I still laugh?

Next up in my understanding of the problem is the middle school stage of development. I fall and get laughed at. I feel the pain of the injury and the insult. It’s embarrassing especially when it’s in front of people I want to like me. In my old age I can say “Self, You fell. Everyone falls. Humans aren’t stable. Entropy comes for us all”  But 10 ish years ago I would have taken that embarrassment and let it run the show. “What kind of person falls! Successful people never fall!  I’m not going back there ever again!” And I would place my hand on my fevered brow and collapse onto the nearest fainting couch. 
You know.  For attention.


Me age 18. This peak cool for me. I will never be as cool as I am standing there with a giant gold ball. Yet all I can remember is being horribly self conscious and feeling like an imposter.


Finally we have what I hope is the last version of my feels.  Because if there is more I won't leave my house ever again.  My kid falls. People laugh at my kid.  My baby is getting laughed at for something that can’t be easily fixed.  I can’t go out and buy him the cool shoes so he will fit in. 
Take an intense eye contact look at this beautiful human. Take responsibility for your thoughts and actions towards him.
I do.

Nice people either ask if they can help or at least avert their eyes.  Medium people whisper laugh to someone else but I can totally tell it’s about us. Horrible people ask me or Cal “What is wrong with you?! Why are you like this?!”  Usually as they shuffle away they mumble something vague about vaccines or kids these days having no discipline. That depends on what school of thought they prescribe to.  

Finally the worst one. The one that keeps me up at night and makes me hyperventilate. Is the “That kid is retarded!” It’s happened.  It happens a lot. More so in Oklahoma than in Oregon. 
#45 Does not take responsibility for his thoughts and actions.
 Well how I feel about this now. 
Oh hell no.
Calvin doesn't really "voice" an opinion yet. I can tell he gets embarrassed about the differences between him and his peers especially with this round of surgery, wheelchair, walking casts, walking boots and general openly struggling to move. There was no way to take that bullet for him.  Surgery meant breaking something down in the hopes that it would be better eventually. Publicly. With everyone staring at him wherever he went.  Everyone would comment.  Today we got about 5 comments and a billion looks just in the walk from the car to his classroom. It's been 9 weeks of that. 

If you have any effective ways to talk to someone who doesn't want to talk and or doesn't have the vocabulary to talk about abstract ideas I am all ears. For real.  Someone help me with this. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Achilles, Orgin Story

Since Cal learned to walk Cal has had problems with walking. Like everything in life and autism there are a lot of issues that add up to the full picture.  Here are what I think are the main contributing factors. Calvin is hypo-sensitive to physical stimuli.  It take a lot for him to register touch.  He has a crazy high pain tolerance and does not particularly mind falling down all the time.  He actually kind of gets a weird kick out of the rush. AKA sensory seeking.  This is an atypical characteristic of ASD and most people think of sensory avoidance if they think of anything about autism.    Sensory Seeking at about a year and a half This is part and parcel of a proprioceptive and vestibular dysfunction. Where the body is in space in relation to objects, maintaining balance and motor planning are problematic.  If you are in a room with Calvin you will know it immediately. The kid is very, very clumsy and wanders around like a caged animal and bumps into stuff.   Age

What I hope to achieve by all of this

Why have I started writing journal style on a public setting? Is it to make my family's eyes roll right on out of their heads? Is it because I am a special snowflake and think my words are important? Is it because I am bored and angsty ? Do I need money and I have to work irregular hours because of my irregular household? Is it because being a writer is my secret hope have been to scaredy cat to give it a shot? Is it because if I don’t try my brain will just be turning it over and over anyway? Yes.  Yes to all of these.   Repressed Artist. 8 year old pic. I thought I was so cool looking ;) Bless my late 20s heart. The topics I want to zero in on are Special needs parenting Tulsa history and culture Interviewing women who inspire me  AND THE BIGGIE I am going research and write my Grandfather's story.  Jim Hara is a mystery, a Goliath and a skeleton in my closet. The Hara side of the family is 75% skeletons but he is the most do

Unstructured Time: Thunderdome

School scheduling is our happy place.  Kids know the expectations and the rhythm.  They would never admit it but they are much more comfortable in that routine as well. Everyone gets a break from each other. Everyone has different things to do but in safe places with familiar people. Room to breath. Copacetic. I am admittedly not good at enforcing an internal structure. Or horrible at it.  F- I should pray for the intersession of my high school's saint.  Saint Rita of Cascia: patron saint of lost causes, motherhood etc. Sidebar: Ain't that a kick in the head.  Lost causes and motherhood.  Well played Vatican. Well played. Example.The kids need to burn off the energy and get some fresh air.  I can have everything set up to go to the park.  One of them throws a fit about going to the park. I scrap the plan. Because I am a coward like that. I don't have the strength of character to say to pull off that coveted parental "My way or the Highway"vibe. The whol