Skip to main content

Sleep is for the Weak.

I don’t want to say that special needs parenting is much harder because maybe it’s not. I’m not in other people’s homes. I see some friends complain on facebook that have problems that I personally don’t think are very big deals. But it’s all relative. It’s not a competition on who has the harder problems. (spoiler alert. It’s me. I win. It fits better with my own whoa is me narrative I have going on right now)

Speaking of awards that no one wants. Sleep disorders. Sweet Baby Jesus we have disordered sleep here. Sensory Processing issues mean out of whack fight or flight responses. Imagine you are living off adrenaline all the time and your body spikes at weird times. Your body is always writing checks that your REM cycle can’t cash.

Does that make sense? I don't know I’m tired. Go with me on this.

Sometimes it evens out and I think MAYBE this time we are past it. But that is a mirage in the desert. Take last night for example. Cal fell asleep at 4pm yesterday. He had a really exhausting physical therapy session. His core muscles are really weak and his hips are not able to lift his legs up in a efficient way. The PT was a little hardcore on trying to get him to build up strength. So he was frustrated and sore and discouraged and it was only 8am and he was going to school right after that.
Adorable. 4pm. Just give it another 8 hours.

Cal uses the majority of his energy on managing his anxiety and sensory processing workload. Imagine trying to do school work when your whole body is uncomfortable. Imagine that your whole body is uncomfortable most of your life. Imagine you are a fluffy cloud floating above your troubles and a money tree drops in and you can go to PT everyday until your kiddo is strong and healthy. I digress.

When Cal passes out like that there is no waking him. He is like a frat boy on game day. You just have to let it run its course and monitor his breathing. In this case running its course meant he fully woke up at 1230 am. Wide awake and starving. The risperidone that he takes turns him into a hungry hungry hippos. So here I am at 1am making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches while Calvin chirps about like a happy bird. I want to brain myself with the jelly jar.

More or less accurate

He is awake from 1230am until the bus comes and gets him at 720am. I doze in and out while he watches netflix but I can’t get fully to sleep if a boy is awake. Because they are mine.
Teamwork making the dreams not work. Us Hood River 2012


I haven’t even started to talk about Sam's particular issues. I am trying to write about them as their own independent humans. With their own independent strengths and challenges. But he has sleep issues too. Lord does he have sleep issues too.

Everything is revolves around sleep when we are having a flair up.I can take 1 of 2 paths. I can tough it out and steamroll my way through the day. Or I can cancel stuff. If it is just sleep I can work through that. But if there is more than one issue in play I can’t.

Like sleep didn’t happen AND Cal still has his casts on from his tendon lengthening surgery AND he is melting down AND Shane is in Portland for work AND Sam still needs to get to all the things that Sam needs to get to AND I am trying to make it to my job. Really only Shane and I can handle Calvin when he is full meltdown. Oh and PS Cal and I both have the stomach flu. Oh and PPS it’s almost the holidays.

Guess which one of those things get broken. Me trying to have a job outside the house. I am the one that takes the hit. One of the parents has to and over here its me. Because I make less money.

There isn’t anything I could have done differently. Unless it involves cloning myself. It’s survival mode. I am familiar with it because it has happened 2-3 times a year for 8 years now.
Cal 3 months old. (yes he's huge) Kate tired.

I never wanted to be a stay at home parent. I need to be contributing to the outside world and to our bank account to feel safe. I just become depressed and more anxious staying at home. I start second guessing ever purchase and choice. I can’t stop the negative thought patterns. And Surprise surprise surprise I can’t sleep. (can’t blame everything on kids after all)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Achilles, Orgin Story

Since Cal learned to walk Cal has had problems with walking. Like everything in life and autism there are a lot of issues that add up to the full picture.  Here are what I think are the main contributing factors. Calvin is hypo-sensitive to physical stimuli.  It take a lot for him to register touch.  He has a crazy high pain tolerance and does not particularly mind falling down all the time.  He actually kind of gets a weird kick out of the rush. AKA sensory seeking.  This is an atypical characteristic of ASD and most people think of sensory avoidance if they think of anything about autism.    Sensory Seeking at about a year and a half This is part and parcel of a proprioceptive and vestibular dysfunction. Where the body is in space in relation to objects, maintaining balance and motor planning are problematic.  If you are in a room with Calvin you will know it immediately. The kid is very, very clumsy and wanders around like a caged animal and bumps into stuff.   Age

What I hope to achieve by all of this

Why have I started writing journal style on a public setting? Is it to make my family's eyes roll right on out of their heads? Is it because I am a special snowflake and think my words are important? Is it because I am bored and angsty ? Do I need money and I have to work irregular hours because of my irregular household? Is it because being a writer is my secret hope have been to scaredy cat to give it a shot? Is it because if I don’t try my brain will just be turning it over and over anyway? Yes.  Yes to all of these.   Repressed Artist. 8 year old pic. I thought I was so cool looking ;) Bless my late 20s heart. The topics I want to zero in on are Special needs parenting Tulsa history and culture Interviewing women who inspire me  AND THE BIGGIE I am going research and write my Grandfather's story.  Jim Hara is a mystery, a Goliath and a skeleton in my closet. The Hara side of the family is 75% skeletons but he is the most do

Unstructured Time: Thunderdome

School scheduling is our happy place.  Kids know the expectations and the rhythm.  They would never admit it but they are much more comfortable in that routine as well. Everyone gets a break from each other. Everyone has different things to do but in safe places with familiar people. Room to breath. Copacetic. I am admittedly not good at enforcing an internal structure. Or horrible at it.  F- I should pray for the intersession of my high school's saint.  Saint Rita of Cascia: patron saint of lost causes, motherhood etc. Sidebar: Ain't that a kick in the head.  Lost causes and motherhood.  Well played Vatican. Well played. Example.The kids need to burn off the energy and get some fresh air.  I can have everything set up to go to the park.  One of them throws a fit about going to the park. I scrap the plan. Because I am a coward like that. I don't have the strength of character to say to pull off that coveted parental "My way or the Highway"vibe. The whol